Poetry Quote


# Happiness is to see the world in a grain of sand, and Heaven in a wild flower, to hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in a single hour.

~ William Blake


# With understanding come to know

what laughing lips will never show

how pain and torturing distress

can masquerade as happiness.

~ Michael Denison


# You may write me down in history

With your bitter, twisted lies,

You may trod me in the very dirt

But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?

Why are you beset with gloom?

'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells

Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,

With the certainty of tides,

Just like hopes springing high,

Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?

Bowed head and lowered eyes?

Shoulders falling down like teardrops.

Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?

Don't you take it awful hard

'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines

Diggin' in my own back yard.

You may shoot me with your words,

You may cut me with your eyes,

You may kill me with your hatefulness,

But still, like air, I'll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?

Does it come as a surprise

That I dance like I've got diamonds

At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history's shame

I rise

Up from a past that's rooted in pain

I rise

I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,

Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear

I rise

Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear

I rise

Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,

I am the dream and the hope of the slave.

I rise

I rise

I rise.

~ Maya Angelou


# When I die, I wish to comeback as one of her tears

What man would be so lucky

As to have been conceived in her heart,

Born in her eyes,

Live on her cheeks,

And die at her lips?



# Once I swore I would die for you, but I never meant like this.

~ Shame, by Stabbing Westward


# I wandered lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the milky way,

They stretched in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:

A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:

I gazed---and gazed---but little thought

What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils.

~ William Wordsworth

# Let no man fear to die

we love to sleep all,

And death is but the sounder sleep

~ Beaumont


# All my hope is everyday

that you will love me this I pray

But as the each day passes

and the end draws near

What I wish for the most

becomes my greatest fear.

~ Beth Rogers


Eat, drink and be merry... For tommorrow we die.

~ Epicurus


# "I can't remember all the times I tried to tell myself to hold on to these moments as they pass."

~ Counting Crows - A Long December


# We twist and turn where angels burn

Like fallen soldiers, we will learn,

that once forgotten, twice removed,

love will be the death of you

~ Savage Garden


# If wild my breast and sore my pride, I bask in dreams of suicide,

If cool my heart and high my head I think "How lucky are the dead."

~ Dorothy Parker


# All I do is act on my passions and they call it sin.

All I do is tell the truth and they call me a hypocrite.

All feel is pain and sorrow and they call it love.

All I do is pour my heart out to empty pages and they call it poetry.

~ Benito Behar


# If you should die before me, ask if you could bring a friend.

~ Stone Temple Pilots


# Love isnt like a resevoir.

You'll never drain it dry... Its much more like a natural spring.

The longer and farther it flows, the stronger and deeper it becomes


# When you come to the end of everything you know, and the next step is into the depths of darkness of the great unknown, you must believe one of two things: Either you will step out onto firm ground or you will be taught to fly.

~ Claire Norris


# It's no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest

It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success

Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief

All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief

~ Bono, U2


# What is that you express in your eyes?

It seems to me more than all the words I have read in my life.

~ Walt Whitman


# Today is only yesterday's tomorrow. Don't be too sure that things aren't what they seem.

Alternatives are hard to find for sorrow. So use your head to muffle all your screams.

~ Lothar and the Hand People


# Well I've been bound and gagged and I've been terrorized

And I've been castrated and I've been lobotomized

But never has my tormenter come in such a cunning disguise


I let love in

I let love in [...]


# Dreams are the eraser dust I blow off my page.

They fade into the emptiness, another dark gray day.

Dreams are only memories of the plans I had back then.

Dreams are eraser dust and now I use a pen.


# Forest sways,

rocks press heavily,

roots grip,

tree-trunk close to tree-trunk.

Wave upon wave breaks, foaming,

deepest cavern provides shelter.

~ Goethe, "Faust"

# If of all words of tongue and pen,

The saddest are, "It might have been,"

More sad are these we daily see:

"It is, but hadn't ought to be."

~ Francis Brett Hart


# We pray for one last landing

On the globe that gave us birth;

Let us rest our eyes on fleecy skies

And the cool green hills of Earth.

~ Robert A. Heinlein


# You can be a king or a street-sweeper,

but everybody dances with the grim reaper.


# We chase misprinted lies

We face the path of time

And yet I fight

And yet I fight

This battle all alone

No one to cry to

No place to call home

~ Alice in Chains


# "Ring around the rosey

a pocket full of poseies

Ashes, Ashes

We all fall down"


# There is a silence where hath been no sound

There is a silence where no sound may be

In the cold grave, under the deep deep sea

~ Thomas Hood


# As Eternity has reckoned

There's a lifetime in a second.

~ Piet Hein


# For long you live and high you fly
and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
and all that you touch and all that you see
is all your life will ever be.

~ Pink Floyd


# "The true poem rests between the words."

~ Vanna Bonta


# Sweet is love when all is sane
Sweet is death to rid the pain
Cruel is death when all is well
Cruel is love when all is hell


# You think of me just like a butterfly
You wanna pin me to your wall so I can never fly.

Just like a flower that you need to dry
Caught between two books, squeeze me till I die

~ Thumb-Break Me


# I see things as they are,
as they were and as they will be.

And he was the lord of the things that are not,

and were not

and never will be

~ Neil Gaiman


# Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I choose the one less traveled by,

and that has made all the difference.

~ Robert Frost


# I know someday you'll have a beautiful life

I know you'll be a star, in somebody else's sky

But why, why, why can't it be mine?

~ Pearl Jam


# All that we see or seem

Is but a dream within a dream

~ Edgar Allen Poe


# The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

~ Robert Frost


# A true friend is the one who knows the song in your heart and sings you the song when you're torn apart


# Society is an eternal night

pierced by single stars glowing in a

neverending Darkness

~ Ben Rifkin


# "Could I have been anyone other than me?"

~ Dave Matthews


# I was me, but now he is gone.

~ Metallica, "Fade to Black"


# If you love something, let it go.

If it comes back to you, it's yours.

If it doesn't, it never was.


# IF

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too:

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or being hated don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;

If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same:.

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings,

And never breathe a word about your loss:

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with Kings---nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much:

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And---which is more---you'll be a Man, my son!

~ Rudyard Kipling


# I hope everybody can find a little flame

Me, I say my prayers,

then just light myself on fire

and walk out on the wire once again

~ Counting Crows, "Goodnight Elizabeth"


# Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box, They tumble blindly as they make their way across the universe.

~ The Beatles, "Across the Universe"


# I started to love you

I started to love you

when I met you

and that love will forever,

be part of me.


I am not lost in you

and are to much of a realist

to be lost in dreams,

but I am totally lost

when you are gone out of my life.


Still I do not wait on you

to put out my senses,

but just want you

to be with me.

~ Gert Strydom

Subscribe in a reader

Subscribe Here for Lovely Sms